PCB connector – an ultimate FAQ guide
Are you looking for compatible connectors for different PCBs in the circuit? Or are you thinking of increasing the efficiency of your electrical devices? If yes, you’re at the right place!
The following guide will show you on PCB connectors, their uses, and their functions.
What is a PCB connector?
A PCB connector can be defined as the components used to transfer signals or power from one PCB to another in a circuit. The track can also be considered conductive between different pads.
The majority of the PCB connectors are present on the PCB board. Thus, the major purpose of using the highest quality PCB connectors is to transfer the PCB signals to the main unit in the circuit.
Also, PCB connectors are made while considering the design of Printed Board Circuit. Thus, make sure to know the exact size and dimensions of the circuit before designing any PCB connector.
Types of PCB connectors
There is a long list of PCB connectors in the market. However, different types of PCB connectors depend on the size, type, and function of Printed Board Connectors.
Some of the common PCB connectors are given as follows:
● Wire-to-Board Connectors
This PCB connector connects a particular type of wire to a PCB. Thus, its main function is to make the perfect connection between different PCBs.
● Board-to-Board Connectors
As visible from the name, board-to-board connectors are used to connect two different types of printed board circuits. This type of connector doesn’t use a cable to connect PCBs.
Also, it is considered a permanent connection to get a continuous update from PCBs by using various pins and receptacles.
● Female PCB Connectors
This PCB connector is also known as a socket or header receptacle. The major purpose of this type of connector is to create a constant passage for signal transmission.
● Backplane Connectors
It is mainly used to increase the data rates in printed board circuits. Besides, they are also used to reduce the signal rise.
Most users use backplane connectors to associate different types of connectors in the daughterboard.
● Male PCB Connectors
This type of PCB connector is also known as pin headers, mainly used as connection pins between the spacing of two different printed board circuits.
● USB PCB Connector
If you ask us about the commonest type of PCB connector, it would be nothing but a USB PCB connector. It can easily be used in smart phones, tablets, and laptops.
Orientations of PCB connectors
Board-to-board connector layouts can offer a range of PCB connection orientations, all based on 90 degree increments. Some of the common PCB connector orientations are given as under:
- Parallel or mezzanine orientation (It has both PCBs in the vertical direction)
- 90 Degree or Right Angle Orientation (It has motherboard to daughterboard connection, and one PCB is in the vertical direction, the other one is in the horizontal direction)
- 180 Degree or Coplanar Orientation (It has both PCBs in the horizontal direction)
The Purpose of PCB connectors
Most printed board circuits are very difficult to connect through wires. Thus, PCB connectors are used for the same purpose.
They are not only used to connect one PCB to another but also to transfer signals or power from one circuit to another. Another major purpose of PCB connector is to assemble and attach different parts to the printed board circuit.
Layout guidelines for PCB connectors
Before assembling PCB connectors, there are certain guidelines that everyone needs to follow. Some of these layout guidelines are given as under:
- The printed board circuit must be parallel with the other PCB so that they can be stacked up by using straight pin headers
- Some boards must be placed side-to-side in a horizontal direction. It is possible to connect them with right-angled headers in this way.
- In addition, some boards must also be placed at right angles to each other. It will help you to make a perfect combination of the pin on the header and the connector on the other side.
IBE PCB & PCBA is now providing all details about the layout guidelines of PCB connectors along with the best quality products.
What are the applications of PCB connectors?
Some common applications of different PCB connectors are given as under:
- They are used as pins in circuit boards.
- They are used in computer mainboards and motherboard.
- Besides, they are also used in LCDs.
- Scanners also use PCB connectors.
They are also present in important electric equipment.
How do you use a PCB connector?
To use the highest quality PCB connector, you have to follow the given instructions:
- Bring the power and single source closer to each other by using a single plug connector.
- Use the best push-in technology to plug in the connector.
- This will build an electrical connection between the PCBs.
- Now, open the terminal point with the help of a lever.
- After that, plug in a simple connector.
- In the end, close the whole circuit to make the connection secure.
How do you select a correct PCB connector?
In order to select a correct PCB connector, you need to consider the following points:
- Must consider the voltage rating of your PCB.
- Analyze the printed board circuit’s size and shape.
- Also, know the environmental conditions where you have to place the PCB.
- Get an idea about shrouds, locks, and keys of the circuits.
- Besides, get a brief idea about the current rating of the circuit.
In the above guide, we have tried our best to give you enough information about PCB connector. You can visit our website to purchase the highest quality of PCB products. After-sales services with every assistance are ensured.